When the cold weather hits I love nothing more than curling up on the couch with the fireplace on and a cup of something hot in my hand.
Coffee doesn’t seem to like me anymore so I’ve been trying to focus on alternatives. This matcha hot chocolate recipe is a little piece of heaven combining yummy chocolaty goodness with a healthy pick-me-up.
If you’ve never bought matcha tea before then you’ll soon discover that there are two types to choose from. The premium or first harvest matcha is ideal for drinking on its own. The second harvest matcha is more bitter than first harvest but half the price. For this reason it’s best suited for use in smoothies or other recipes like cookies or matcha hot chocolate.
Matcha Hot Chocolate Recipe
Pour the rice milk into a small pot and heat over medium heat. Add the cocoa powder and maple syrup and whisk until combined.
Heat until you’re happy with the temperature. I never let this boil because 1) then I have to wait to let it cool which is annoying – I want my hot chocolate now! – and 2) if it boils it will kill all the nutrients and other good stuff in the matcha.
Remove from the element and whisk in the matcha. Totally optional but you can use a hand frother to create foam. Pour into two mugs and garnish with marshmallows.
I’m fine using regular marshmallows but if you prefer you can buy non-gelatin vegan marshmallows from Whole Foods or other health food stores.
Because the matcha is added last you can easily share this tasty treat with anyone who just wants a plain hot chocolate. When I make this for me and my 3 year old I simply ladle out her portion first while it’s luke warm. Then I use half the amount of matcha for my portion.
- 2 cups rice milk or dairy substitute
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons second harvest matcha powder
- Pour the rice milk into a pot and heat over medium heat.
- Add the cocoa powder and maple syrup. Whisk until combined.
- Once the hot chocolate has reached your desired temperature, remove from heat and whisk in the matcha powder.
- Pour into mugs.
- (Optional) Froth with a milk frother.
- Garnish with marshmallows.